LEIN SCHOOL #2: This country school operated near Arena from 1906 to 1958. The school barn is from west of Mandan.
STERLING RAILROAD DEPOT: Built in 1885 to service the Northern Pacific Railroad, our depot is located beside our railroad track.
YEGEN STORE: John Yegen, Bismarck's first baker and grocer, began business in a tent. He built this store in 1877.
COAL MINE CAMP: Includes a power shovel, mine shaft, scale house and the Chapin building from near the mining town of Wilton.
FORT CLARK POST OFFICE: Built about 1910 by a lumber company, it served as a Post Office from 1917 to 1948.
FORT LINCOLN SERVICE STATION: Built in 1932 to service military vehicles. (Ft. Lincoln is now United Tribes Tecnical College.)
1ST STATE BANK of McCLUSKY: This 1905 wood-frame building, with embossed tin exterior, was an early McClusky bank.
CAPITAL AVAIATION HANGER: Built in the early 1930's it held the fist north-south air passenger line in the United States.
GOODRICH BARBER SHOP: This 1908 barbershop was one of the early shops in Goodrich, ND.
DRISCOLL BLACKSMITH SHOP: Built around 1919 by Ole Hatle, and later purchased by Ole (Lena) Olin. The shop contains a working forge.
FOLEY HOME: "American Foursquare", built in 1907 buy James Foley who is considered a poet laureate of North Dakota.
ANDREW MILLER FARM (of St. Anthony) MUSEUM: Built in 1910 as a warehouse for Bismarck Lumber.
THE MOLBERT: Claim shack is from one of the earliest claims near Tappen. It was built about 1880 by a Swedish immigrant.
THE GELLNER: Home was built in 1906 near Goodrich. At one time it housed a family of nine! Built by a German family from Russia.
Please call for rental infromation on the Lewis Hotel and Bethel Church at 701-250-8575 or on the contact us page.
THE LEWIS HOTEL: Built in 1914 in Tappen. It contains a restored Ballroom and Bar. Downstairs is a model railroad.
BETHEL LUTHERAN CHURCH: This country church was built in 1916 near Coleharbor and contains original furnishings. The cemetary fence is from Dunseith.
CHESAK SEED HOUSE, ICE/WARMING HOUSE, OUTHOUSES, FLANGER, FLAG POLE AND MUCH MORE!
Please watch our website & news letters for interesting events and future plans.
HISTORY OF BUCKSTOP JUNCTION
Buckstop Junction, located in Bismarck, ND, is an historic town established and designed by the Missouri Valley Historic Society (MVHS). The town stands on a 20 acre site at the Missouri Valley Fairground on east Main Avenue. The society was organized in 1992 to preserve the history of the Missouri River Valley and the surrounding area.
This historic village contains actual buildings dating from 1875 to 1935 moved to this site by the MVHS. The buildings with traceable histories in the area, offer vistors a feel for the atmostphere of the Missouri River Valley during the turn of the century.
TOURS: Scheduled or by reservation.
VOLUNTEER: We have many opportunities and you are sure to find a way to help that you will enjoy.
RENTAL: The Lewis Hotel and the Bethel Church are available to rent for appropriate functions.
CORN FEED CELEBRATION: Held each year on the third Sunday in August
DONATIONS: MVHS (Buckstop Junction) is a tax exempt 501 (C) 3 organization and your gifts are tax deductible as allowed by law.
DEVELOPING BUCKSTOP JUNCTION
IS AN ADVENTURE!
LET'S ENJOY THE PAST IN OUR FUTURE!
For more information please call
701-250-8575 or 701-223-4838
PO Box 941
Bismarck, ND 58502-0941
This organization shall stimulate, coordinate, conduct and assit
in activities relating to the preservation of this area's history.
NEW ENTRANCE BUILDING: The Shoppe at
NORTHERN PACIFIC CABOOSE: Built in 1907 in St. Paul, MN, this 19 foot caboose was lengthend to 24 feet in 1910, as required by the Dinky Caboose law.